Home | Research | Delivery | Empennage | Wings | Fuselage | Engine | Electrical

Tue 28 December 2004

Continued with elevator leading edge. Manage to identify a piece of plastic tube / wood core that didn't bend / flex / twist. Then added a couple of bolts as tommy bars to increase the leverage.
After quite a bit of effort, we had the whole LE cleco'd together. Seems to be the 'best' method was to work with the separate sections one at a time and have one person providing the 'torque' on the tube and the other working the material by hand. With a bit of confidence it did end up going OK.
The drill and pop-rivet was VERY simple in comparison.
Dad then got called away, so I went on to some bits and bobs.

First up was riveting together some of the primed parts from yesterday. Fuel pump 'top-hat' was quick and simple, although did require both the rivet gun and squeezer.

Tunnel cover and rear bulkhead riveting.
Then onto the forward cockpit covers. Multiple parts to rivet / nutplate / setup.
I then went back to the wing tips. The inner metal strips for the nutplates needed to be final match drilled to the tips and wing skins and opened up for #6 screws. The problem is holding the strips to the fibreglass tips whilst everything is put into place. The easiest solution that I could think of was gaffer tape, a bit patchy but did enough to be able to complete the clecoing.
Once everything was cleco'd together the nav light holes at the front of the tips provided a sight line to check the metal strips.
Then simple drilling to #28's, just take it slowly so the 'tension' of the strip does the pressure against the drill bit, otherwise you can pop-off the cleco's (and bend the metal strip - don't ask me how I know)
Then it is start the normal process, in this case 76 nutplates, with 2 rivets each. That is a lot of holes to drill, debur etc.....
Normal edge preparations, then dimpling and prep. Didn't complete the riveting today.
Both of us were then back so we returned to the RHS elevator LE rolling. The little outboard edge rolled first time, the middle one was a real pig.
You can see the principle, generally the meeting point is flat with a rolled component and then arcing to the spar. The trick is to not crease the skin along the spar line.
Then it is the normal drill, debur
and pop-rivet.
The second finished product, added the rod end bearings and started looking at the mounting to the HS. The HS skin will need trimming, a job for tomorrow.
Carl Morgan